Caregivers of children who've been diagnosed with ADHD are typically moms. They are moms who want their families to be happy and healthy, which is incredibly difficult when there child suffers from a chronic disease. As product director at Akili Interactive, I am tasked with helping these moms answer the question, "is my child getting better?" in a time-saving, actionable, and helpful manner. My job is to research, design and define, plan, and deliver a valuable, engaging, and easy to use digital products that helps them monitor the symptoms of their child's disease. I worked on these products sine the beginning, when they were only an idea to complement Akili's revolutionary digital video game treatment.
- Conducted literature reviews and key opinion leader research to understand the disease state and clinical workflows, including problem areas to explore further
- Surveyed and interviewed healthcare providers, caregivers, and teachers to understand how they currently monitor their child's ADHD symptoms.
- Consolidated and synthesized all user research into personas to drive a user-centered design process.
- Generated insights from data about most valuable features and app engagement that lead to a phased roadmap including a beta test to prove out product and design hypotheses.
- Designed the entire user experience of the MVP app starting with sketches and prototypes, which I placed in front of users to gauge whether or not the product was going in the right direction. Because of my background, I was playing a dual role at the start up.
- Hired a behavioral economist to audit the UX for opportunities of more engagement in product usage. Delivered an engagement strategy that confirmed current designs and defined additional product requirements as a result.
- Engaged user research agency for usability testing of clickable prototypes to iterate and refine design. A point of pride in the results - the satisfaction, comprehension, and value scores for specific screens and flows were consistently above 4.5/5, where 5 was extremely satisfied.
- Defined validated product requirements and worked with a design agency and engineering teams to create software requirements for product backlog in support of continuous development.
- Worked daily with engineering team to provide priority and guidance on user and business value of feature sets and requirements.
- Developed beta test KPIs to measure engagement, value, and usability.
- Created launch and learnings plan to ensure that KPIs were measured and managed to demonstrate value and users had several channels of user feedback and support.
In May 2018, launched Fengo and Fengo for Teachers into beta test for iPhones.
Here's some of the user feedback we received during testing:
“I was glad I could provide feedback. This week I am wishing I had something to track behavior better as I feel all over the place!”
“I'm really grateful that someone is working on something so encompassing--that makes it easier for parents like us. This is a helpful tool for someone like my husband and I who need the support.”
“My thanks also to the team for their efforts to develop programs to help the ADHD children of the world.”